Monday 26 October 2015

Wonderfully shy but strong Gail

My husband and I came back from a fantastic two weeks holiday in Greece in September 2010. I hadn't been feeling well prior to the holiday and became worse whilst we were there, so I promised my husband I would go to see my GP the next day. He gave me a kiss the next morning and told me to let him know how I got on at the doctors; the next time he saw me i was in resus, plugged in to all sorts of machinery and with an oxygen mask on. His face said it all when he saw me and they explained to him that I had had a cardiac arrest upon arrival and they had had to defibrillate me. 

That was the start of the roller coaster that was to be our lives. We were told I wouldn't survive the night without a temporary pacemaker and I thought 'hang on, this is me your talking about?'  I was told I had something called dilated cardiomyopathy and heart failure. 

I had never failed at anything in my life, and I certainly wasn't going to now so I became a survivor and not a victim. I have never once said 'why me' because why shouldn't it be me. I get on with my life as normally as I possibly can. Yes, I have horrible days when I can barely get out of bed, but I don't let DCM control me, I control it. 

I have met the most wonderful heart friends and they have helped me through my darkest days and laughed with me on my good days. 

All in all life is good and I make sure I live life to the full, as much as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment